Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Water music

26 Miles; Sean Watkins, guitar and vocal

Sean Watkins plays guitar with the group Nickel Creek. He contributes to the ensemble not only as an instrumentalist and vocalist, but also as a composer. On this, his second solo album, “26 Miles” features his own music with each song played in a different style.

Mr. Watkins had heard at one time that the furthest anyone can see across a large body of water before the horizon begins to bend is twenty-six miles. The song “26 Miles” is about a walk on the beach …

Twenty six miles to my left, and not a single man,

There’s not much in front of me, below are feet and sand

So I turn and I sit and stare, in my lap this pen and pad

I watch the water rise and fall, recede and then advance

I’ve never been a beach man. But I’ve spent an appreciable amount of time on the water. So I feel a closeness to the sentiments he catches and pens on his pad.

Isn’t it a neat cover? I like the colors.

Credits: To you, again, faithful and loyal reader. You’ve come a very long way. I hope you’re not too tired. The journey back home is only about six weeks long. Stay tuned.

This is the ninth of my final forty-five CD’s.

3 comments:

  1. The journey has been wonderful. Thank you for letting us take this trip with you. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great record. You should also check out "Let it fall", his instrumental album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erik, does your ipod have any June Christy recordings? I may have missed a few of your musings, but I'll forgive you if you haven't. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete