Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Honors and Tributes

Tribute; The Keith Jarrett Trio

I’m going to go out on a limb here and state that when they close the book on TV and all of us move on to – whatever it will be that surpasses TV – critics and enthusiasts will agree that some of the best television EVER came from Johnny Carson’s “Tonight Show”.

I don’t ever remember Mom or Dad having to tell us kids that it was time for bed. It seems to me that my sisters and I voluntarily hit the hay when exhaustion came home to roost. But, now and then, I allowed myself the opportunity to indulge in the sophisticated, interesting and witty banter between the Hollywood set and Mr. Carson behind his desk. It was the good old days. Naturally funny people brought funny stories to tell. Everybody was friends with everyone else and, to my eyes and ears, sincerity and innocence prevailed simultaneously

One time, when Don Rickles was guest hosting the show, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and John Wayne all walked out onto the stage together, right in the middle of Mr. Rickles’ monologue, apparently without his knowledge that it was about to happen. Four huge stars in one place, and no battle of egos (egi?) to mar the interaction. Just good clean fun.

Back in the day when Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, The Smothers Brothers, Flip Wilson, Andy Williams and many others had their own show on TV, they would honor other musicians or actors by having them as guests on their show. They don’t have those kind of shows anymore. I haven’t even seen a Christmas special for years.

So how do stars, Hollywood or musical, honor each other anymore? About eighteen years ago, Tony Bennett released an album called “Perfectly Frank” as a tribute to Frank Sinatra. The group called The King’s Singers put out an album that honors the Beach Boys. Mel Torme honored Bing Crosby with an album entirely devoted to the elder crooner’s songbook.

I’m not really a fan of Keith Jarrett. He is a fine pianist. He has fought many personal demons and come out on the other side still playing music. I don’t know why, but I don’t particularly care for his style…

…Except on his album called Tribute. For some reason, what he has to offer musically truly resonates with me. He honors singer Nancy Wilson with the tune “Little Girl Blue”. He remembers saxophonist Charlie Parker by playing “Just In Time”. “All Of You” is dedicated to Miles Davis. Coleman Hawkins makes Mr. Jarrett think of “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes”. There are many others. My favorite has the trio recalling singer Anita O’Day with “The Ballad of the Sad Young Men.”

I wonder what song anybody would play to honor me? I know what my sisters would pick: The Root Beer Rag.

Credits: To The King’s Singers. I love your versatility, your humor and your music. Bravo.

This is the twentieth of my final forty-five CD's.

1 comment:

  1. I'd go with Fur Elise.

    No, wait, that would be for me.

    ReplyDelete