Friday, September 24, 2010

Shakespeare under the stars

Scenes from Shakespeare; William Walton, composer; Academy of St. Martin in the Fields; Sir Neville Marriner, conducting; Sir John Gielgud, actor; Christopher Plummer, actor

My first exposure to William Shakespeare, post-high school, occurred during the summer of 1987 when I worked at the Grand Lake Lodge at Grand Lake, Colorado. Six of us employees, one day, realized that we had the same night off. “Who wants to take a trip to Boulder?” Well, that sounds like fun. Okay. Count me in.

As soon as we got into town, we started looking for something to do in the evening. One of my friends said, “Hey, the Colorado Shakespeare Festival is going on and they’re doing a production of ‘The Tempest’ tonight. How does that sound to everybody?” “Yeah.” “Yeah.” “Yeah.” “Yeah.” Really? Hmmm. That’s what you want to do tonight? Well. I guess so. Let’s get tickets.

This production of “The Tempest” took place outdoors and not one cloud blotted out the stars. We sat in comfortable chairs in the throes of a cool summer evening breeze. I figured the weather would be the best part of the evening. Wrong.

I never imagined that I would get turned on by the acting out of a play by William Shakespeare. And, yet, I sat there amidst all the elements of an idyllic Colorado alfresco experience … and hardly noticed them … nor the time that went by. When Prospero, shorn of his powers, invited the audience to set him free from the island with their applause, I steadfastly refused. I wanted more. Right now. More.

I found out later that the Colorado Shakespeare Festival is one of the three finest of its kind in the country. And I don’t doubt it. To turn an unbeliever into a believer within the confines of a couple of hours is a rare feat. I would like some day to go back.

When Lawrence Olivier directed his Shakespearean “Trilogy” for the cinema – Henry V, Hamlet and Richard III – he called on one of his fellow countrymen, British composer Sir William Walton, to provide the soundtrack. The music for each film speaks of regality, bravery, heart and hope.

The music for these films has been put into suite form. When Neville Marriner decided to record this music, he asked Shakespearean actors Christopher Plummer and John Gielgud to recite specific soliloquies between the suite selections. William Shakespeare, William Walton, Christopher Plummber, John Gielgud, Neville Marriner – noble Englishmen all. It just doesn’t get any better than this.

Credits: To Laurence Olivier, for excellence in Shakespeare interpretation. Chris, Johnny – you’re pretty good, too. Bravo.

This is the twenty-ninth of my final forty-five CD's.

1 comment:

  1. You should check out the Montana Shakespeare in the Parks sometime. All comedy and lots of fun.
    K.

    ReplyDelete