Thursday, September 30, 2010

Favorite songs

Mel And George Do World War II; Mel Torme, vocal; George Shearing, piano

One of my favorite times in music comes when somebody approaches me after a concert, or during a reception, and says, “I loved it when you played ______. My husband and I used to dance to that song.” Or, “That was my mother’s favorite song. You don’t hear it very much any more.” Or, “My father used to play that song on his clarinet late in the evening while my sisters and I would drift off to sleep.”

As much as I revel in the velvet tones of ever-so-smooth Mel Torme, I must confess that I favor that portion of “Mel and George Do World War II” where George Shearing plays a few numbers without Mr. Torme “backing him up”. I’ve never heard “I’ve Heard That Song Before” with more subtlety, class and elegance. The girl in the German song “Lili Marlene” never looked more glamorous, arresting and forlorn. But I heard the angels sing when Mr. Shearing serenaded me with “I Know Why And So Do You”.

I played this song at a reception following a concert a few years ago. It’s one of my top ten “first-call” songs when I provide a backdrop of music at the piano. Three days later at a rehearsal, a lovely woman came to the piano and asked, “How in the world do you happen to know the song ‘I Know Why And So Do You’? You’re way too young.” I heard it on a World War II album. “Thank you for playing it. It was my husband’s favorite song”.

The melody of the tune is out of this world. But, even better than the melody, are these words:

Why do robins sing in December

Long before the spring time is due

And even though it’s snowing,

Violets are growing

I know why and so do you

__________

Why do breezes sigh every evening

Whispering your name as they do

And why have I the feeling

Stars are on my ceiling

I know why and so do you

__________

When you smile at me

I hear gypsy violins

When you dance with me

I’m in heaven when the music begins

__________

I can see the sun when it’s raining

Hiding every cloud from my view

And why do I see rainbows

When you’re in my arms

I know why and so do you

I know why and so do you

THAT. Is a lyric, my friend. I would fall in love with anyone who could express themselves like that.

Credits: To George Shearing, jazz pianist extraordinaire. Fan: “Mr. Shearing, have you been blind your whole life?” Mr. Shearing: “Nope. Not yet.” Inspired!!!

This is the thirty-fourth of my final forty-five CD’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment