Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Chance Meeting

Take 6; Take 6

In 2001, President George W. Bush extended invitations to several African-American musicians to help celebrate “Black Music Month” with an afternoon gala at the White House on June 30. In attendance were Shirley Caesar, the Blind Boys of Alabama, James Brown, the Harlem Jazz Museum Artists and Lionel Hampton. The acapella vocal Gospel ensemble Take 6 and Jazz/Gospel artist Regina Belle entertained the capacity crowd.

The White House had requested a pianist from “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band to play the grand Steinway for the guests as they came up the stairs, through the entrance and cross hall, and into the East Room for the occasion. The Marine Band volunteered me.

It was a Friday afternoon and President Bush had business up at Camp David over the weekend. After the hour-long celebration in the East Room, the President invited all of the guests to approach the south windows to watch him and Mrs. Bush take off on Marine One. Since the function had concluded, the head usher asked me to begin playing the piano. All of the guests, however, remained at the windows to watch the President’s helicopter take off. All of them except one.

While I was playing the piano, here came this short energetic man around the corner, heading for the stairs. I thought to myself, There’s only one man in the world with a coif like that. And for just a few seconds, two universes collided. The “hardest working man in show business” and the straight-laced, corn-fed, All-American, Midwestern, Marine Band piano player had an encounter.

James Brown, with his smile setting at Dazzle Thirty-Seven, he looked at me and something like “You … {unintelligible} … piano … {again, unintelligible} … good!” I smiled right back at him and said, Thank you, Mr. Brown. He responded with, “Hyeah!” And he went out the front door like he owned the place.

I heard the great and powerful music of Take 6 that day, a group I have adored for over fifteen years. They have a unique sound. When I left the barracks that day for the White House, I knew that they would be there and I was excited. They didn’t disappoint. But their visit was eclipsed by a chance meeting with James Brown.

Credits: To Lionel Hampton, one of the greatest vibes players ever. I’m glad I got to see you, sir. Well done.

This is the twenty-seventh of my final forty-five CD’s.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's the twenty-fourth of your final forth-five CD's.

    See, I AM paying attention...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite possibly my favorite CD. And the first Christmas disc I listen to every year is theirs. I've been a huge Take 6 fan since I was eighteen and we stayed in the same hotel at a jazz festival. This album had been out for less than a year and I'd never heard of them. But I was smitten.

    ReplyDelete