Monday, June 28, 2010

Norwegian sweaters

Piano Sonata; Lyric Pieces, Opp. 43 and 54; Edvard Grieg, composer; Leif Ove Andsnes, piano

I boarded the Crown Odyssey in July of 1993 with empty pockets. I was a poor man. I had depleted my cash reserves over the course of the previous four weeks when I chaperoned and accompanied some high school age students in a band and choir through Europe.

Do you ever remember how you spend your money on an extended tour? So many things are pre-paid: buses, hotel rooms, museums, lunches, dinners, breakfasts, shows, etc. But, then, you get caught in the trap: Swiss chocolate, Italian pizza, French éclairs, German pastries and Austrian … Kaiserschmarren, Sachertorte, Tafelspitz, Eierschwammerl, Mannerschnitten, Mozartkugeln, Topfenstrudel und Karntner Kasknudeln mit das Krapfen. You go home with all the stuff that you brought, but with a lighter pocketbook. My Uncle D.H. used to say, "Pack twice as much money and half as much clothes."

I really had to be careful with my funds this time. At the end of the tour, in Frankfurt, I parted ways with the young folk to spend a three-day weekend in London on my own before making my rendezvous with the ship. I spent my last few pounds taking the train to Tilbury where the Crown Odyssey was moored.

It was nice to get back on board where I didn’t have to buy anything. Really, as a cruise musician, the ship acted like an oasis. She provided everything I needed: room, board and gourmet food. So, I could easily last until the end of the cruise when the band got paid.

And what an itinerary! Two fourteen day cruises out of London (Tilbury) through the fjords of Norway, all the way to the North Cape. I had anxiously awaited these two cruises for months. I was stoked.

When we pulled into Bergen, I asked one of the staff what there was to see. “Edvard Grieg’s house.” What else? “The warehouse.” What’s at the warehouse? “Sweaters.” Uh-oh.

Have you ever bonded with clothing? It’s a lackluster, uninspired, one-way sensation, I assure you. Yet, when I came upon these ornate, extravagant barbicans of “old country” couture that uniquely personify the heritage, my heritage, of Scandinavian folk art expression, I knew that I was looking at Christmas presents for my family.

So, I picked out five sweaters and asked the proprietor if she could hold them for fourteen days, and she promptly agreed. When I got back to the ship, I had to hit up two of my band brethren for a loan, to which THEY promptly agreed. Two weeks later, when I stopped in to pick up my merchandise, a stack of CDs featuring the piano music of Edvard Grieg, as played by Leif Ove Andsnes, sat on the counter next to the cash register. My conscience whispered into my ear, You bought all of these sweaters for everybody else in your family. Don’t you deserve something for yourself? To which I promptly agreed.

Mom had received a coupon for a family portrait in January of 1993. It had to be used by the end of the year. Two days after Christmas, we all donned blue jeans and our Norwegian sweaters and headed to the studio for our sitting. I must say that we made a very handsome photograph. But we look like we’re selling Norwegian sweaters.

Credits: To Dale of Norway, producers of fine functional and fashionable Norwegian wear, featuring Gore Windstopper – Windproof and Water repellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment