Wednesday, June 23, 2010

John and Marsha

Capitol Collector's Series; Stan Freberg

“Did you know that we have a couple on board this cruise named John and Marsha?” Curtis asked Steve. “No! You’re kidding. That’s hilarious.” What’s hilarious? “John and Marsha.” What? I don’t get the reference. Steve said, “I’ve got a CD to share with you when we get back to the ship.”

Stand Freberg’s soap opera parody routine of “John and Marsha” was cute, quaint and brilliant. Somehow I was able to perceive that Mr. Freberg was doing both voices. But after listening to it a couple of times, I thought, Hang on … I’ve heard this voice before.

I decided to wade a few more tracks deeper into the CD. When I got to “St. George and the Dragonet”, a middle ages spoof on the radio show “Dragnet”, I heard familiar voices. Here was Elroy from “The Jetsons” posing as a knave:

St. George: Pardon me, sir. Could I talk to you for just a minute, sir?

Knave: Sure, I don’t mind.

SG: What do you do for a living?

K. I’m a knave.

SG: Didn’t I pick you up on a 903 last year for stealing tarts?

K. Yeah. So what? Do you wanna made a federal case out of it?

SG: No, sir. We heard there was a dragon operating in this neighborhood. We just want to know if you’ve seen him.

K. Sure, I seen him.

SG: Mmm-hmm. Could you describe him for me?

K: What’s to describe? You see one dragon, you seen ‘em all.

SG: Would you try to remember, sir? Just for the record. We just want to get the facts, sir.

K: Well, he was, you know, he had orange polka dots…

SG: Yes, sir.

K: …Purple feet, breathing fire and smoke…

SG: Mmm-hmm.

K: …And one big bloodshot eye right in the middle of his forehead, and, uh, like that.

SG: Notice anything unusual about him?

K: No he’s just your run-of-the-mill dragon, you know.

SG: Mmm-hmm. Yes, sir. You can go now.

K: Hey, by the way, how you gonna catch him?

SG: I thought you’d never ask. A Dragonet.

I moved on to “Little Blue Riding Hood” and found the voice of Rocket J. Squirrel, without his pal Bulwinkle. And in the same skit, here was the voice of Granny from Loony Tunes and Merry Melodies.

When I got to “Sh-boom”, I finally recognized Stan Freberg’s voice as the Abominable Snowman from Bugs Bunny. So happy to get a bunny rabbit: “I will hug him and pet him and I will call him George.”

The last track on the album “Wun’erful, Wun’erful”, (Side-uh one, and Side-uh two) of course, spoofed the legendary Lawrence Welk. Mr. Freberg’s impersonation of the champion of “champagne music” was outstanding. And then he said, “Turn off the bubble machine.” Hey! Dad used to say that all the time. But, I didn’t know what he was talking about. Well. Now that all made sense.

I’ve always been amused by character voices, voice-over actors and impersonators. The notion of finding a funny voice and making it say funny and outrageous things never becomes tiresome. This album brought back memories of Saturday mornings and animation’s golden age of comedy. It was nice to get reacquainted with some old friends.

I picked up this album after getting back to the US and shared it with Dad. He had a good laugh.

Credits: To Lawrence Welk, for literally inventing a style of music and remaining loyal to his listeners for over fifty years.

Good night, sleep tight, and pleasant dreams to you

Here's a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true

And, though, it's always sweet sorrow to part

You know you'll always remain in my heart

Good night, sleep tight, and pleasant dreams to you

Here's a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true

And now, till we meet again,

Adios, au revoir, auf wiedersehen ... Good night!

2 comments:

  1. A high school friend had a sister named Marsha. Whose husband was Jon. I didn't get it, either, but they thought it was hysterical. What do I know from funny?

    ReplyDelete