Tuesday, June 1, 2010

CD's and Wings

The Gershwin Connection; Dave Grusin, piano

My friend, D., who originally played trumpet with the United States Naval Academy Band and now plays with the United States Marine Band, told me once that he took his entire first paycheck from the Navy and spent it all on CD’s. That amounted to over one thousand dollars spent on CD’s – all in one day. I have a certain amount of admiration for a fellow that can do that, yet at the same time I’m glad that it wasn't me. Though I’m Lutheran, I somehow inherited – or picked up – a guilt conscience of formidable Catholic robustness. And I know it works …

In January of 1993, I joined the Crown Odyssey in San Francisco where it embarked on a five day cruise down to Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan, then docked in Long Beach for passenger disembarkation. I asked the trumpet player, I., what everyone does when we dock in Long Beach. “I’m going to the Del Amo Fashion Center for a bucket of wings. It’s a ten dollar cab fare. Want to come along?” Yes.

They had two reeeeeeeaaaallly nice CD stores at the DAFC. I went to the first one and ended up buying one hundred fifty dollars’ worth of CD’s. In fifteen minutes. I don’t know what kind of company I made around the wing bucket because I know I was stunned that I had allowed myself to spend that kind of money. My father was inside my head: “Not ten days out of the sensible state of South Dakota and you’re squandering, frittering away your hard earned money on some of that incomprehensible jass music that you’ve turned to. And eating just the wings of a chicken? What kind of common sense is that? That’s not very efficient, son.”

I. asked me at one point, “You’re thinking about how much money you spent on those CD’s aren’t you?” Yeah. “Well, I must say it was a sight to behold. But, you know, I’m supposing that you consider this purchase today somewhat frivolous.” Yup. “Well, you can’t. You regarded each one of those CD’s as important, otherwise you wouldn’t have bought them. These are investments. And I’m not really only talking about money. We’re musicians, and we need to hear other musicians to keep our furnace going. All the stuff you bought today is going to impact the way you play the piano, either tonight on the stand, or ten years from now.”

Well. That hit the spot. And I took it to heart. Because I went back to the DAFC the next day to go to the other CD store and I ended up purchasing another one hundred fifty dollars’ worth of CD’s. In fourteen minutes.

I acquired Dave Grusin’s “The Gershwin Connection” on the first rampage. This album made me realize the greatness and genius of Mr. George Gerswhin. You can take one of his melodies outside of its original environs, funk it up, add a little zest to the harmonies – and it still sounds like Gershwin.

In deference to the down-home prudence, levelheadedness and bodacious sagacity that our father … (ahem) lightly – apparently … instilled in us young’uns, I cut back drastically on the bulk during my spontaneous CD bargain hunts. Six has always seemed like a reasonable number to choose as a limit, but to date I have never bought any more than five at a time. It is my observation, however, that distribution of leg, breast, thigh and wing all comes out in the wash.

Credits: To D. and I., for your spontaneity and philosophy concerning the collecting of CD’s. And for your outstanding trumpet playing. Bravo.

No comments:

Post a Comment