Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Denmark

Symphonies 1 and 6; Carl Nielsen, composer; The San Francisco Symphony; Herbert Blomstedt, conducting

When I listen to Carl Nielsen’s symphonies, I celebrate my Danish heritage. I don’t know how my Danish great-grandfather found his way to South Dakota, but my great-grandmother came to the United States from Denmark aboard a ship with three of her children. Dad always used to make quite a story out of it.

Once, Mom, Dad and I went to Tyler, Minnesota, to enjoy a Sunday afternoon at Aebleskiver Days. In addition to celebrating the spherical Danish pancake, they paid tribute to everything Danish, from music and literature to language and art.

Mr. Nielsen was the first Danish composer to achieve international recognition. He wrote six symphonies, a few concertos, two operas, some cantatas, the Helios Overture and various chamber works.

Mr. Nielsen’s face adorns Danish hundred-kroner note. Please, everybody, if they should ask, after I’ve been called Upstairs, I don’t want my face on money. It’s bad enough that you have to look at my visage on the iPod to the right. Yeach!

Credits: To Tyler, Minnesota, for keeping watch over the culture and heritage of Denmark in America. Tak.

1 comment: