Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memory bank

He's The Greatest Dancer; Sister Sledge

Some of you out there – you know who you are! – have mistakenly put me in possession of a photographic memory. I assure you that I have no such thing. My memories don’t rely so much on facts and figures as they do on impressions, emotions and perceptions from my point of view as I experienced them. Allow me to be clear: I don’t remember everything.

When my sisters and I get together with Mom around the table and reminisce over days gone by, K., D. and Mom frequently recall things that I don’t. And I remember things that they don’t. I must believe that that is the way with us all.

Dad used to remember dates when a thunderstorm would come through. I don’t think he set out specifically to remember those dates, but when he needed to remember them, he had them. Why would he do this? Because the rain affected his crops. Just like a professional campaign manager can recite demographics on hundreds of issues along with percentages, statistics and probabilities, Dad’s focus remained on the weather and the way it impacted the corn, the wheat, the alfalfa, the beans … even the cows.

I have every confidence that you, dear reader, can match me, cache byte for cache byte, in recalling the memories of a lifetime. It does NOT require a photographic memory. If I had a photographic memory, I would remember why ON GOD’S GREEN, BLUE AND OILY EARTH I would have downloaded Sister Sledge’s “He’s The Greatest Dancer”.

Credits: To the weatherman, who brings the farmer information and peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment