Friday, May 21, 2010

Cascades

Akoustic Band; Chick Corea

Mom bought the music to “Autumn Leaves” two or three times. Each time that she bought it, she had me play it on the piano at home. She was disappointed each time. I eventually discovered that she was expecting the version that Roger Williams played.

Roger Williams recorded “Autumn Leaves” in 1955 and brought the song to number one in the US, the only piano instrumental to achieve that status. It remained at number one for four weeks.

Jazz pianist Chick Corea recorded many albums during the 1980’s with his Electrik Band. He caught my attention in 1989 with the release of “Akoustic Band”. Of course, I loved it. I’m partial to any ensemble that doesn’t have a plug-in cord trailing along behind it.

The first half of the album consists of jazz standards, including “Autumn Leaves”, “Sophisticated Lady” and “Someday My Prince Will Come”. Mr. Corea includes four of his own compositions at the end of the recording, probably to ratchet up the tension. His excellent tune, “Spain”, which I’ve referred to before, always pleases, whether it’s a solo, duet, as in this case, a trio, or a big band.

During my first year in college, Dr. P. had me learn Frederic Chopin’s Etude in A minor, Opus 25, No. 11. The first theme of the musical exercise features a tumultuous cascade of notes descending from the eighth highest note on the piano. The first time Mom heard me play that piece, she said, “I like that one. It sounds like ‘Autumn Leaves’.”

Credits: To Chick Corea, for teaching me how not to spell “electric” and “acoustic”. !!!

1 comment:

  1. My Chic Corea listening experience, including a few live concerts, was all about Return to Forever. Stanley Clark, Lenny White, Al Di Meola and Airto Moreira made for a cool fusion band!
    i will never forget the acoustic concert they performed at the old Painters Mill music hall in Owings Mills.

    ReplyDelete