Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Jazz strings

Who Do We Think We Are?; Turtle Island String Quartet

Do you know why I don’t like Sunday School Christmas programs? I never got to be Joseph, a shepherd, a king, a sheep, a camel, a donkey, a coyote or anything. My classmates got to put on the dark plaid JC Penney bath robes every year. Can I be a king or a shepherd this year? “Sorry, no. You’ve got a good singing voice. We need you to help lead the singing.” Yeah, I know. I’m holding a thirty to thirty-five year old grudge.

When I got into high school band, there was a jazz band. Mr. D., can I play piano in the jazz band? “Sorry, Erik. I need you to play trumpet. I’m giving the piano spot to D. She doesn’t play trumpet, sax or trombone. This way works out better for the band.” Now I’m holding a twenty-five to thirty year old grudge.

When I got to college, I tried not to burden myself with too much. In addition to my classes, lessons and practice time, I participated in Concert Choir and marching band in the fall of my freshman year. At the end of the semester, I felt that I had a pretty good handle on my time. I could afford to join another ensemble, so I went to see Dr. J. about jazz band.

“I’m absolutely thrilled that you came to talk to me about this. We’re actually going to be minus one pianist in the rhythm section in the Monday-Wednesday Jazz Band during the second semester. The part is yours if you want it.” Well, yes, I’ll take it. Thank you, Dr. J. Is there anything I should do to prepare for this? “Yes. You should buy thirty-six jazz albums and listen to them for sixteen hours everyday for eight months. Then you should buy thirty-six more. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.” Dr. J. had a poker face. I couldn’t tell if he was bluffing. No matter. I didn’t have money to buy thirty-six albums, anyway.

The first chart I got to play in jazz band was “Seven Steps to Heaven”, a tune by Victor Feldman and Miles Davis. It was included on Davis’s album of the same name in 1963.

The Turtle Island String Quartet takes a stab at the bebop tune on its 1994 album “Who Do We Think We Are”. Every time I hear them play the tune, I almost laugh out of sheer joy; because I can’t believe I’m hearing string players swing and improvise so easily, so naturally, so musically, so jazzically. Typically, jazz and string players go together like maple syrup and lemonade. The adaptability aspect of Turtle Island’s collective musical genius, however, astounds and grants them quintessence as crossover artists. The notion of string players emulating Jimi Hendrix with his “Gypsy Eyes” would be comical if they weren’t so good at it.

I was always curious where “Seven Steps To Heaven” got its name. I suppose it must come from the first seven notes and first seven chords in the first phrase of the tune. In all the times that we rehearsed this tune in jazz band, I never thought to look for Heaven from there.

Credits: To the Turtle Island String Quartet. Who Do I Think You Are? Bloody geniuses, that’s who. You rock!

6 comments:

  1. I now feel the urge to experiment with maple syrup and lemonade, just to prove you wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking maple syrup and lemonade and vodka might actually work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. J. would most likely join you in a maple syrup and lemonade martini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the one pianist who was missing, do I get any credit for where the Monday-Wednesday jazz ensemble experience took you?

    I remember as a freshman I knew I was getting better when the number of Count Basie albums Dr. J told me to buy kept diminishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dor - you get tons of credit - in the form of Poi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rather have chocolate.... or your mom's homemade peach pie.

    ReplyDelete