Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Waltzes and Waltzes

A Little Night Music; 1973 Cast Recording; Stephen Sondheim, composer

The Annapolis Chorale kicked off its 2008-2009 season with a concert production of Stephen Sondheim’s “A Little Night Music”. I had heard of the musical for years but had never sought out any information about it. Aside from “Send In The Clowns”, very few songs from the show lend themselves well to performances outside its synopsis.

I remember the day that Dad taught me the concept of categories. I don’t recall the circumstances, but he set me straight forevermore by simply stating, “Son, all pheasants are birds, but not all birds are pheasants.” It took me two seconds to understand what he meant.

All waltzes have a triple meter. One, two, three, one, two, three, one, two, three. But not all triple metered songs are waltzes. This rhythmic concept comes into play in the metric structure of the entire score of this musical. Every song that Mr. Sondheim composed for this show has, as its organic rhythmic base, some form of a triple meter.

He included a waltz, a mazurka and a polonaise. Some songs are in 3/4 time, some in 6/8 time, 9/8 time and 12/8 time. One is in 3/2 time. I have wondered whether this occurrence has any secret bearing on the overall plot outline, or any ponderous tenets to the storyline. But, from what I’ve seen and heard, it’s just a stunt. But what a classy stunt!

Credits: To my nephew N., for bringing pheasant for the Christmas dinner table. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment