Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A is for Apland

The Protecting Veil; John Tavener, composer; Yo-Yo Ma, cellist; Baltimore Symphony Orchestra; David Zinman, conducting

My Aunt J. lives in Cinnamonson, New Jersey. I make the trek about two or three times a year up route 301 on the Eastern Shore of Maryland to see her and her family. It’s a very pretty drive … until you get into New Jersey. The last five miles to her house, however, are quite nice.

About three years ago, while we were getting caught up over breakfast, I got a phone call on my iTelephone. Hello. “Hello, is this Erik?” Yes, what can I do for you? “I’m calling from the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. We have a concert series in the beginning of November that calls for a pianist within the orchestra. Would you happen to be available?” Yes. I am available. “Good. Well. That was quick.” What do you mean by “that was quick”? Did someone recommend me? “No, sir. I found you in the Baltimore Musician’s Union book.”

How about that? My new friend at the BSO must have turned to the A’s in the ol’ Union book and “struck gold” in the first few minutes. It seems that my qualifications to play with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra had less to do with my talent, abilities and musicianship at the piano than it did with my great-great-great grandfather’s last name when he walked off the boat onto American soil in the 1800’s.

I became curious about John Tavener’s instrumental music after hearing one of his choral pieces performed at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales, in 1997. He imbues both his choral and instrumental music with an ethereal aura; with an almost palpable spirituality. When you hear his music, it feels like you’re wandering around in an ecclesiastical cloud. Profound significance completely surrounds you and meaning matters less than the intense experience itself.

The BSO called me three more times that season. In January, they called me for their Martin Luther King Day concert. In February they called me for a pops concert called “Pops Goes Vegas”. I thought it should have been called “Pops Goes Vegas, Baby”, but they forgot to call me about that. Then they called me to play in their big band that backed up the Four Freshmen.

But when I played for them in November, Michael Feinstein lit up the concert hall with his showmanship at the piano and his vocal prowess in such numbers as “Stormy Weather”, “The Way You Look Tonight”, and “S’Wonderful”. After singing a song from “Guys and Dolls”, he commented on composer Frank Loesser’s first marriage. He had married Lynn Garland in 1936. The two couldn’t make their union work and they divorced after only a few years. Forever after, Mr. Feinstein claimed, Frank Loesser referred to his first wife, Lynn, as the evil of two Loessers.

Credits: To Great-Great-Great Grandfather Apland, for giving me a leg-up in the Baltimore Musician’s Union book.

2 comments:

  1. Let's hope that works for K. Andersen some day too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool story ~ not the bit about driving in NJ (although I'm glad you have some family there to visit occasionally), but the gigs with the BSO!

    ReplyDelete