Monday, April 12, 2010

Another Enya CD

Shepherd Moons; Enya

I informed you, dear reader, some weeks back, in the middle of a tirade, that I actually have two Enya CD’s. I purchased “Shepherd Moons” in Dublin, Ireland, to mark the occasion of my visit. Enya makes her home Manderlay Castle in Killiney, County Dublin.

I have no story to tell. However, I’m fascinated, and delighted, with the inclusion of the song “How Can I Keep From Singing?” on this album; known to many Christians as “My Life Flows On in Endless Song”. The refrain is quite powerful

No storm can shake my inmost calm

While to the Rock I’m clinging.

Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,

How can I keep from singing?

Ms. Enya takes a few liberties with the melody and the words. She chooses not to sing about Christ, proclaiming instead:

Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth…

She finds different verses to sing than the verses I have in my Lutheran hymnal.

The one time that I went to Dublin, my friends and I found a restaurant called the Bad Ass café. A sign outside the front had a picture of the back end of a donkey getting slapped, or spanked, as if it had been bad.

Okay, I’m sorry, I guess there was one story.

Credits: To Robert Lowry, for composing “How Can I Keep From Singing?” and “Shall We Gather At The River”. You’re a master hymn tunesmith, Mr. Lowry. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment