Thursday, April 15, 2010

Collaboration

Gershwin Fantasy; George Gershwin, composer; London Symphony Orchestra; John Williams, arranger and conducting; Joshua Bell, violin

I have enjoyed following the career of master violinist Joshua Bell. Though a couple of years younger, he comes from my generation. I remember seeing him perform on the Tonight Show in the early 1980’s. In addition to outstanding technical and musical instincts beyond his, what, thirteen or fourteen years, he exuded outstanding stage presence, this incredible ability to present and control the scene, the visual look, aura, the musical climate as the audience would see it. All aspects of his performance on the TV in our living room in South Dakota left a first impression of monumental proportions.

At some point, Mr. Bell broke through the barrier – barriers? – that divide(s) prodigy and respected world-class artist. It must take more than just stubbornness, drive and nerve to arrive on the other side with as much heart, spirit, verve and zest as this gentleman exudes.

I bought “Gershwin Fantasy” at a CD store at Union Station in St. Louis, Missouri. Many years ago, I made it a point to acquire all CD’s in the Joshua Bell discography. But, I knew immediately that this one would stand out from the others. All selections on this album featured the arranging and conducting talents of none other than John Williams. Two favorite music icons together on one project. I could hardly wait to get back to the Delta Queen to absorb the brilliance created by these two musical marvels.

In August of 1998, after bringing home Nelson, my Dodge Durango, I took Mom for her first ride on a warm late afternoon - in air-conditioned comfort. She had to go to the church in town to finish printing the bulletins for Sunday morning. While she worked in her office, Pastor H. happened to drive up … and began admiring the shiny new vehicle next to his. He began to ask questions. “Four wheel drive?” Yup. “Eight cylinder?” Uh-huh. “Third seat?” Yes. “Tow package?” I’m ready to hook up to your boat as we speak. “Well, this is marvelous.”

Then he looked at me – squinted, really. “Is there something else you want to show me?” Get in. I turned on the stereo …

And Nelson turned into a shimmering concert hall. Tonight, on our stage, the London Symphony Orchestra, John Williams conducting, and our soloist, Joshua Bell, playing the very best of George Gershwin. For twenty minutes and twenty-four seconds we juiced on the collaboration of three wizards as they streamlined us through memorable and stirring scenes from Mr. Gershwin’s masterpiece “Porgy and Bess”. "My Man's Gone Now", "I Loves You, Porgy", "Bess, You Is My Women Now", "D'eres A Boat That's Leavin' Soon For New York", "Summertime", "I've Got Plenty Of Nuttin'", "It Ain't Necessarily So" and "Oh, Lawd, I'm On My Way" ... one by one, they amalgamated within the confines of my dear Nelson. And when the spectacle concluded …

The birds, the trees, the gravel, the grass, the sidewalk and the old church bell returned to our purview. Pastor H. looked at me and paid the ultimate, the superlative upper Midwest Scandinavian compliment. “Uff-da, my”.

Credits: To Johnny Carson, for bringing excellence of all kinds to his stage. Including yourself, Mr. Carson. You were one class act.

No comments:

Post a Comment