Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Madrigal Dinner

Jesus Christ The Apple Tree; Best Loved Christmas Carols; Choir of King's College Cambridge

Dr. C. conducted the SDSU Concert Choir during my last two years in college. He brought a fresh perspective to the art of choral singing. And he also brought a couple of keen performance ideas. Dr. C. introduced the SDSU Music Department to the Christmasse Madrigal Feaste.

It was a fancy affair. The concert choir students would transform Peterson Recital Hall into a regal 16th century English banquet chamber, complete with jesters, the Wassail toast, presentation of the Boar’s Head and a royal court in charge of entertaining attendees with singing, dance and theatre. Over the course of the evening, the Madrigal Singers would perform several songs.

One of the songs that I remember hearing came from a poem purportedly penned by an unknown New England poet in the 18th century. 20th century English composer Elizabeth Poston composed the music.

1. The tree of life my soul hath seen,

Laden with fruit and always green;

The trees of nature fruitless be

Compared with Christ the apple tree.

2. His beauty doth all things excel:

By faith I know, but ne’er can tell,

The glory which I now can see

In Jesus Christ the apple tree

3. For happiness I long have sought,

And pleasure dearly I have bought:

I missed of all; but now I see

‘Tis found in Christ the apple tree.

4. I’m weary with my former toil,

Here I will set and rest a while:

Under the shadow I will be,

Of Jesus Christ the apple tree.

5. This fruit doth make my soul to thrive,

It keeps my dying faith alive:

Which makes my soul in haste to be

With Jesus Christ the apple tree.

Some have suggested that this poetic allusion to the apple tree from Song of Songs 2:3 might draw inspiration from the abundance of apple trees in early New England. I find that it challenges us to compare the amplitude of goodwill, benevolence, compassion, amnity and accord that we offer to and share with each other with the compass of life-giving peace and serenity that Christ extends to us if we but ask for it.

Credits: To poets, who enter the world through a different door than the rest of us, bringing order of expression and commentation on the worldview from their threshold.

No comments:

Post a Comment