Friday, December 11, 2009

The Gospel According to St. Luke

The Christmas Story: Words and Music; St. Paul's and Norwich Cathedral Choirs

A few years ago, my sister D. gave me a curious CD for Christmas. The jewel box actually contains two CD’s. CD number one features Christmas carols and hymns sung by the St. Paul’s and Norwich Cathedral choirs. It starts with “Once In Royal David’s City” and continues with familiar sacred Christmas music: “Away In A Manger”, “I Saw Three Ships”, Coventry Carol” and the like, concluding with the "Cherry Tree Carol".

CD number two contains two sections. The second section presents highlights from G. F. Handel’s “Messiah”. Most of the selections come from the first of the three parts from “Messiah”. Naturally it includes the “Hallelujah” chorus, and it concludes with two of my favorite portions of the great work, “Behold, I Tell You A Mystery/The Trumpet Shall Sound”, and the great finale, “Worthy Is The Lamb/Amen”.

The first section of CD number two spotlights a rendering of the first two chapters of the Gospel according to St. Luke. At first, I viewed this inclusion as an oddity. But, then, I realized that, as a Christian, I should have acquired a recording of the Christmas Gospel long before my sister gave me one. I never tire of hearing how our Lord came to the world and the circumstances that encompass the nativity story, with shepherds, kings, angels, a star and a flight to Egypt.

Now comes the funny part. The producers of this album chose James Earl Jones to give voice to the Gospel, the man famous for declaring, “This is CNN.” I love hearing Mr. Jones speak, particularly in “Fields of Dreams”, “Coming To America” and “The Lion King.” I also enjoy his performance at the end of the movie “Sneakers”. In an unguarded moment, however, for a millionth of a second, anyone who listens to the first second of Mr. Jones’ telling of the Gospel of Luke hears the master state, “Luke. Chapter one.” and feels gypped that they hadn’t heard that he was someone’s father.

All of the members of my family have these two tracks on their iPods. And while we acquire much joy in saying “Luke. Chapter One.” we, thankfully, get past that hilarious moment quite quickly and revel in the commanding voice that brings the story of the birth of Christ to brilliant life.

Credits: To St. Luke, for instructing young and most excellent Theophilus in the history of the Messiah, his disciples and the early history of the Christian church.

1 comment:

  1. I have been introduced to many great CDs on your blog. Now I'm hoping you might paint the background of a new favorite Christmas CD of mine. I just heard this CD for the first time last night. It's called "Silent Night" by Erik Apland.

    ReplyDelete