Thursday, August 26, 2010

Talks of chamber music

Ernest Chausson ~ Concerto for Piano, Violin and String Quartet; Maurice Ravel ~ Trio for Piano, Violin and Cello; Takacs Quartet; Steven Isserlis, cello; Jean-Yves Thibaudet, piano; Joshua Bell, violin

For several years, I have played with an ensemble that provides music for the holiday season at the Baltimore Country Club located in, oddly enough, Baltimore, Maryland. We play for about three hours over the course of five to six evenings during the annual Christmas Feast that they offer to their members. I marvel at the décor every year – with a giant fireplace, wreaths in all of the Christmas light laden windows, holly and berries surrounding the carving tables and a simply humongous tree, strewn with thousands of lights, and a star on its top almost brushing the twenty-foot ceiling of their old-fashioned lodge.

During our break one evening, when we played together in 1999, my friend K. got to talking about chamber music repertoire that he loved but had never afforded himself the opportunity to perform. “You know, I’ve always wanted to play the Concerto for Piano, Violin and String Quartet by Ernest Chausson.” You know that piece? “Oh, yeah. It’s one of my favorites. So, you know about it, too?” Yes, sir. A few years back I found a recording of the Piano Trio of Maurice Ravel and it included the Chausson. I knew that I would enjoy the Ravel, but the Chausson totally took me by surprise. I would really like to play it. “Then let’s play it.” Okay.

K. played violin in “The President’s Own” United States Marine Chamber Orchestra. He came to me a few months after our Baltimore Country Club gig to tell me that he had put together the quartet and violinist for the piece. And for me to get to practicin’, ‘cause he was going to get it programmed in the fall for the USMB chamber music series.

We actually didn’t play it until the spring of 2001. The performance took place in the Coolidge Auditorium at the Library of Congress. In addition to the Chausson concerto, my friend D. and I played Samuel Barber’s Sonata for Piano and Cello – also a big piece. After our turn on the stage, I asked D. if she would turn pages for me on the Chausson, which she readily agreed to do. She did a smashing job, but afterward, she said that she was more nervous turning pages than during our performance of the Barber Sonata.

Mom and my sister K. flew in for the recital. We went out afterward to Old Ebbitt Grill just around the corner from the White House.

I have my sights, now, on the Ravel Piano Trio. I haven’t found people willing to play it. I may have to bring it up when I see K. at the Baltimore Country Club.

Credits: To Old Ebbitt Grill, for serving fine food to Washingtonians since 1856. Don’t miss the Sixteenth Annual Oyster Riot on November 19 and 20. Tickets go on sale on September 7.

This is the fourth of my final forty-five CD's.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! Crab cakes. Oh, and Snicker's bars! K.

    ReplyDelete