Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The ASO

Tangazo; Astor Piazzolla, composer; Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal; Charles Dutoit, conducting; Daniel Binelli, Bandoneon; Eduardo Isaac, Guitar

Mom had a stratagem that she would use on my sisters and me when we came to her with, “Mom, can we get this?” She would say, “Not today. But if you’re still thinking about it three days from now, we can talk about it.” It saved her lots of spending money because – well – what six- to eleven-year old has that kind of focus?

Last February, I played celeste with the Annapolis Symphony Orchestra. I had a part on Bela Bartok’s “The Miraculous Mandarin”, Richard Strauss’ “Dance of the Seven Veils” from his opera “Salome” and Maurice Ravel’s “Bolero”. Playing the celeste is odd, because, for all of the tinkly, twinkly, Mr. Rogers neighborhood, music box sounds that emit from the instrument, the action at its keyboard takes three to four times the strength required to play even the stiffest Steinway. I didn’t have a part on Cesar Franck’s “Pyche” and I didn’t have a part on Astor Piazzolla’s “Tangazo”.

The conductor opened the concert with the Franck. Just as well, it was the most boring piece on the program. The second half of the program started with Mr. Piazzolla’s “Tangazo”. After intermission of each of the performances, I found a place behind the curtain where it was dark, where I could sit in a chair, close my eyes and lose myself in the culture of Argentina and in the magical and spicy, musical playground of Astor Piazzolla. With his unorthodox use of the shrieking violins and the soaring French horn solos, Mr. Piazzolla had me at “Hola”.

Six months later, I was still thinking about it. Had to have it. Bought it with a Christmas gift certificate on iTunes. It’s marvelous!

Credits: To the Annapolis Symphony Orchestra. Thanks for letting me play with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment