Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sibling Rivalry (or lack thereof)

Sisters; Irving Berlin

Earlier this summer, I played a wedding reception where the bride had asked, a few weeks before, if she and her sister could sing a song together. Certainly. What song would you like to sing? “Sisters.” I don’t think I know that one. “You haven’t seen ‘White Christmas’ with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney?” You know, I’m going to have to see this movie sooner or later. This is the second song that I’ve heard from this movie and didn’t know that it came from this movie.

Sisters, sisters

There were never such devoted sisters,

Never had to have a chaperone, no sir,

I’m there to keep my eye on her

Caring, sharing

Every little thing that we are wearing

When a certain gentleman arrived from Rome

She wore the dress, and I stayed home

All kinds of weather, we stick together

The same in the rain and sun

Two different faces, but in tight places

We think and we act as one

Those who’ve seen us

Know that not a thing could come between us

Many men have tried to split us up, but no one can

Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister

And Lord help the mister, who comes between me and my man

Here are what a few famous people have said about sisters:

If you don’t understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child. ~ Linda Sunshine

Sisters never quite forgive each other for what happened when they were five. ~ Pam Brown

A ministering angel shall my sister be. ~ William Shakespeare

A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves – a special kind of double. ~ Toni Morrison

Big sisters are the crabgrass in the lawn of life. ~ Linus

I am a better man today for having both an older and a younger sister. ~ Erik Apland

Credits: To K. and D., for being excellent sisters. I love you both for who you are to me, and for who you are to each other. You’re awesome.

1 comment: