Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hospitality

"Brand New Key"; Melanie Safka

My sisters and I, to this very day, swear that our neighbor D. had an extra sense of knowing when someone would pull into the driveway on their farm. Any time that we walked into their house, announced or otherwise, she would have the table set for exactly the number of people in her family and whatever number of people in the car that just drove up in their driveway. Roast beef warming on the back burner, mashed potatoes in the bowl, a stack of white bread slices a foot and a half high and a fresh stick of butter. And not to worry, there’s plenty of Kool-Aid. Fastest hospitality in the west, I reckon.

I rode my bicycle past your window last night

I roller-skated to your door at daylight

It almost seems like you’re avoiding me

I’m okay alone but you’ve got something I need

Well, I’ve got a brand new pair of roller-skates

You got a brand new key

I think that we should get together and

Try them on to see

I’ve been lookin’ around awhile

You’ve got something for me

Well, I’ve got a brand new pair of roller-skates

You got a brand new key.

Melanie Safka wrote this 1930’s style novelty song in about fifteen minutes one night in 1970 and included it on her album called “Gather Me”. “Brand New Key” reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in December 1971 and January 1972.

These are those old quad skates that fit over an ordinary shoe. You had to tighten them on with a screw or “key”. I remember this type of skate assisting Lucy in acquiring a parade of skinned and scraped knees in the Peanuts comic strip. I’ve never seen an angrier face than when Lucy was on the wrong side of everything, including skates.

I can’t single out any one reason why I’m captivated by this song. First of all, let’s be honest; the girl has soul running through her veins. Her pouty delivery shoots sparks out of my ears. The contest between the guitar, piano, electric piano and upright bass to see who can charm Ms. Safka the swiftest would be embarrassing if it wasn’t for the rock-solid groove that they throw down. I like how all the instruments stop at the end, except for the drums and what sounds like a high-pitched guiro. And for that matter, you don’t hear drums, really, until all the other instruments and singing drop out. That’s always a plus.

It’s an exotic song. I thought of it one day, went looking for it and found it on my friendly, neighborhood iTunes Store.

Credits: To the hospitality of the wife of the American farmer. Always prepared to put something on the table for the invited guest or the unexpected wanderer.

1 comment:

  1. I distinctly remember this song. .the lyrics.. the moments that it was playing on my bus ride to school in the pleasant spring weather. . my optimistic youthfulness. . the whole feeling came rushing over me again. Thanks for the reminder and - maybe you could play and we could sing it some time . .although, much as I try I'd probably be a little shaky on that second verse.
    PJE

    ReplyDelete