Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Semper Fidelis

Uncommon Valor; "The President's Own" United States Marine Band; Colonel John R. Bourgeois, conducting

The enlistment process of the United States military is a decidedly lengthy process. When I walked into my local US Marine recruiters office bearing a letter of introduction from the director of “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band, I was grossly uberwhelmed at the amount of paper work and questions involved before I could do the work I was deemed “fit” to accomplish. My swearing in ceremony was probably a little more meaningful than what most MB members receive.

I auditioned for “The President’s Own” on October 6, 1990, and made the final rounds as one of three. They said that my experience with commercial music was sadly insufficient. My father was glad that I had auditioned, sad that I didn’t win the audition, but proud that I got as far as I did. He wondered whether the opportunity would ever rear its white covered, leather-necked, buzz-cut jar head again. I had to be realistic and inform him that we probably shouldn’t hold our breath.

Dad served in the Marines during the Korean War. His brother D. served in the Marines as well. His son, my cousin, K. is currently in the Marines. And my Uncle D. fought in WW II as a US Marine.

My 1990 audition for the United States Marine Band proved to be a rehearsal for an almost carbon copy 1998 audition for our nation’s oldest professional musical organization. And when my recruiter called me early one February morning to inform me that Major G. was expecting me at 1500 hours at the recruiting station in Minneapolis, MN, my first call was to Uncle D. to see if he could step in for my dad. He and Aunt J. were waiting for us when my mother and I pulled up. The Major took us down to a room that they reserve for special ceremonies and I was sworn in. I barely got the last words out of my mouth and my uncle exclaimed, “I took that very same oath in this very same room fifty years ago.” The young Marine photographer who had been archiving the occasion immediately wheeled around on one heel and started snapping pictures of my uncle. That was a surprise for all of us.

After arriving in Washington, DC, my “everything Marine” indoctrination process took two to three weeks before I put on the uniform. One of the greatest perks came when I visited the public affairs office where I received some twelve free CD’s of “The President’s Own”.

My favorite of these Marine Band recordings is called “Uncommon Valor”. It was recorded in 1992 in John Philip Sousa Band Hall at the Marine Barracks at 8th and I Streets in Washington, DC. All of the other recordings of this premier ensemble present outstanding music that shows off dazzling technical abilities and earnest musical depth. But this is music for Marines. It conveys the musical embodiment of Marine integrity. It sustains the youthful exuberance of purpose and reason. It corroborates in song what history has authenticated for 234 years; that the first ones in and the last ones out stand a little straighter, stand a little prouder, and bear the countenance of one who stands in the gap between the foe and the defenseless, and remains “Always Fathful”.

The United States Marine Band cannot offer their CD’s for sale. It is possible to purchase certain CD’s from Amazon. But even better than that, if you click on the link below you can download for free certain tracks from Marine Band recordings. Semper Fi, Marines!

Uncommon Valor

Credits: To United States Marines the world over, on your special day. Happy Birthday! And Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment