Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Guitar and voice

Tuck and Patti; As Time Goes By

The 13th of July has an interesting hallmark of distinction in our family. For three reasons. First of all, that is the date of the birthday of the afore-mentioned Bertha E. It seemed that, for years, many in her family would come home for the occasion and we would have a picnic out at Oakwood Lakes State Park. One of those years, I don’t remember which, it was her 85th birthday. And what forever marked that day for my sisters and me was that Fluffy had her kittens under my bed at some time before we went to church. Bertha, O.J. and Gleason quickly became the recipients of the affection of three kids. Bertha’s naming is obvious. I think Gleason was named for the amount that he would eat in relation to the other cats. Interestingly enough, O.J. was named after O.J. Simpson, but two years later we realized that she had to be named after someone else. Bertha’s niece and a long time friend in our family was named Oletha Jo, who was the woman who gave us Fluffy. You don’t get much more Providential than that.

On July 13, 1991, my sister and brother-in-law, D. and David H. were married and, after a short reception at the church, had a barbeque out at Oakwood Lakes State Park at the same pavilion where we had celebrated Bertha E.’s birthday so many years before.

About a week after that, I flew to Tilbury, the official port of the City of London, England, to join the crew of the Crown Odyssey. It may seem to some like starting over whenever joining another ship. I suppose that in many respects it is. I generally didn’t see it that way, though. Changes like this always played themselves out in such a way where a new ship was just another way to play an old tune. You can hang your clothes there, lunch is at 12:30, here’s your muster station for life boat drill, don’t play the piano after midnight because the captain’s cabin is above the stage, and here’s your song list for the dance set.

Whenever I boarded a new ship, I anticipated three things. Who were my new colleagues? What CDs could we share? What was our itinerary? In the summer of 1991 I saw the grandeur of the Baltic Sea: The Kiel Canal, Rostock, Berlin, Leningrad (and St. Petersburg!), Helsinki, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Amsterdam and London.

One of the members of this band was named Elaine B. She was sweet and kind, and was the first female professional musician I’d ever played in a band with. And, sister, could she play! I remember once looking her in the eye and making the incredible sexist remark, “You know what, Elaine? You don’t play trumpet like a girl.” She was ready for me, because she flashed me a huge grin and, quick as you please, shot back with, “Oh, but I do.”

Elaine introduced me to the artful duo of Tuck and Patti as presented on their album, “As Time Goes By”. Patti is a singer with a dark, rich and husky voice that catches you off guard with her explosions of joy in the first track, ”I’ve Got Just About Everything”. Tuck is a formidable electric guitar player who needs no one’s assistance in accompanying himself on a wild improvisation and then throwing down a one-man orchestral foundation for Patti’s golden tones. As husband and wife, one can only imagine how the levels upon levels of intimacy in their relationship make themselves manifest in their performance ensemble. The integration of their talents and subtle weavings of their craft is as intricate as the inner workings of a Swiss pocket watch.

I have commented before on my preference for acoustic instruments. In this case, Tuck plays his guitar like an acoustic instrument. The sound is refreshing and, though much tamer, harkens back to the sound of Les Paul and his innovative sound.

Elaine regaled me once with the tale about one of her excursions into London where she and her companions were trying to get back to the ship in a timely manner and couldn’t find the Tube stop that they needed. So they asked a local for directions.

Sir, could you help us find the Bank Tube stop?

“Certainly, ma’am. First you look for some poles and then skirt around the right side and in a few moments you should happen upon your tube stop.

Okay. Uh, you said we have to look for some poles?

“Yes, find some poles and you should have no problem.”

Good. Umm, what ... what kind of poles do you mean?

“SOME POLES!! SOME POLES!! The big cathedral!! Certainly you’ve heard of it!!”

Ohhhhh. St. Paul’s.

“That’s what I said. Some poles. Bloody Yanks!”

Credits: To traveling companions, for their sense of adventure and the yearning for the mystery of what’s around the corner. Your biography is that much more of an object of intrigue for your sense of thrill, great or small.

1 comment:

  1. Erik, I've enjoyed reading these! I have to say, I'm looking for some new Christmas Albums to add to my collection, so I hope you'll be adding some of those in the next 2 months!

    ReplyDelete