Saturday, October 24, 2009

The state of the iPod

The Archies; Sugar, Sugar

“He Shall From Time to Time” is the 12th episode from Season One of “The West Wing.” The title refers to the section in the Constitution that calls for the President of the United States to advise the Congress on the state of the Union. Preparations for that duty occur throughout the episode. Josh Lyman is asked to “pick a guy”, and that job is referenced several times within a short period until finally the golden question is asked, “What does that mean, ‘Pick a guy’?” Well, the President, the Vice-President, the Speaker of the House, Congress, the Justices of the Supreme Court, the Commanders of the Armed Forces and much of the cabinet are all in one place at one time. That’s a serious security issue. Somebody from the cabinet has to stay behind in the West Wing …. just in case …. you know ….

President Bartlet, right before leaving for the Capitol to deliver his speech, meets with his Secretary of Agriculture in the Oval Office. He’s the guy Josh picked to leave behind. After giving absolutely ludicrous and embarrassingly insufficient counsel on what to do … just in case … you know … the President looks to the Secretary and, when he knows Chief of Staff Leo McGarry is listening in the next room, he asks:

President Bartlet: Do you have a best friend?

Mr. Secretary: Yes, sir.

President Bartlet: Is he smarter than you?

Mr. Secretary: Ha, yes, sir!

President Bartlet: Would you trust him with your life?

Mr. Secretary: Yes, sir.

President Bartlet: That’s your Chief of Staff.

Virtually all of my friends are over-qualified to be my Chief of Staff. Not the least of which is the aforementioned James F. Usually when he talks, I just do whatever he says. This time, he suggests that every once in a while I can feature a simple track that I’ve purchased off of iTunes, instead of a complete album or CD. This is a good idea. I believe he had demonic ulterior motives when he recommended it, but a good idea is a good idea.

About a year ago, a contractor called me to see if I could put a combo together for the grand opening of an art gallery in Washington, DC. It’s always my pleasure to offer my friends work so I accepted the job readily. The contractor said that the client was keen on having music from the 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and 60’s. Well, the first three decades were well supplied; no problem there. But I hardly ever play anything from the 60’s.

I hired my trumpet player first, knowing that he lived through the 60’s and I alerted him to our 60’s music dilemma. He said he’d look through his books to see what he could find, but that we should be able to equip ourselves sufficiently. I hired the drummer next, but what do drummers know anything about choosing music anyway, so no help there.

Next, I hired James and told him of the music selection stipulation. We need about 10 tunes from the 60’s in our back pocket for this gig. What can you think of to play? “Oh, that’s simple. ‘Sugar, Sugar’ from the Archies.” I don’t specifically recall deciding to just stare at him without saying anything, but I lead a very dramatic life, and I trust my acting instincts to do the appropriate thing at the appropriate time. “Really, it’s one of my favorite songs.” Really? “Yeah. It’s sweet. Download it from iTunes, write out the chord changes and let’s play it.” You know, some day, someone’s going to see this on my iPod and, Lucy, there’s going to be an awful lot of ‘splainin’ to do. What would you recommend I say … just in case … you know … someone should see this “sweet” track festing on my iPod? “Oh, you know, just weasel your way out of it.”

So, I did.

Credits: To Aaron Sorkin, for creating and writing a TV show so well acted and so well produced that I never missed an episode, even though its White House goes against every political fiber in my being. To drummers everywhere, thank you for your contributions. I'll meet you with my tempo at the end of the tune or the end of all things, which ever comes first.

2 comments:

  1. May I suggest another single track..."The Monkey Song"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sugar, Sugar" was my FAVORITE at one point in time. Good call on James's part!

    ReplyDelete