Friday, March 26, 2010

A pretty good fantastic symphony

Hector Berlioz; Symphonie Fantastique; Orchestre Symphonique de Montreal; Charles Dutoit, conducting

Here is a CD that I love to listen to if only because it’s big, loud and bombastic. Hector Berlioz wrote the Symphonie Fantastique in 1830. And Mr. Berlioz actually was fairly arrogant and conceited but that’s not why he called his symphony fantastic. He was thinking of the bizarre, weird, far-fetched, grotesque, surreal and strange.

I don’t have a story to go with this one. But it is part of who I am. I bought this CD at a pawn shop in Las Vegas, NV. Okay, maybe kind of a story.

Credits: To you, dear reader. I don’t tell you often enough how much it means to me that you read what I have to say. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. And to you dear Erik, do we tell you enough how much it means to us that you take the time every day to let us into your ipod and your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. . . I mostly agree with you. I must say though, that the St. Matthew Passion gets me. . .I always cry when we get to Jesus breathing his last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a first rate blog, especially for a guy who has just come home from singing the St. Matthew for the last 3+ hours! [And I should know! I was there too!] Good going, all around, boyo!

    ReplyDelete